Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Ode to High School & life

Last night I was lying awake in bed at 3am because Logan was tossing and turning (he was fighting off his fever which seems to have gone away by this morning), and I was thinking that I have been graduated from high school 8 years this coming spring. It got me to wondering if someone is actually going to plan a 10-year for our grade. By all means I do NOT want to be involved in it - unless someone asked me to bring food for a meal or something lol but I would absoluetly love to see where everyone is and what everyone looks like 10 years later! It's partially selfish because frankly I want to show off what I've become as well! lol.. married, kid(s), healthier body, etc.

As I lay in bed I got to thinking more about my life and decided that my life can fairly easily to this point to be broken up into different phases. Childhood (phase 1), school age/ high school (phase 2), single life (phase 3), dating life (phase 4), married/family life (phase 5).

I've blogged about this stuff before but as I consider homeschooling Logan I constantly am thinking back to my school experience. Elementary was ok - I was extremely shy, and extremely uncomfortable most of the time - the shyness really aided that. I'm not sure that I would say that it really was beneficial to me or not - being home may have actually helped me more than the actual public system. Junior high was hell. Yup, I gained a crazy amount of weight, lost all my friends to them venturing down different directions, and suffered every amount of emotional pain possible! High school was when I found a huge transition in my and my peers lives - meaning people were starting to grow up a little. I was ever so lucky to meet my bestest friends Jade, Delaney & Tina! If it weren't for them I am not sure what I would have done! 

Phase 2 - Ode to my friends: We had SO much fun together! We went to my church's dances once a month, once I was driving we would regularly go to Edmonton (Rock&Rides! and of course shopping), we just would hang out at usually my home or Jade/Delaney's home, we did the online thing together, and since Jade at the time was dating long distance a guy in Florida, we would entertain ourselves with making home videos to send to 'our boys' down there! (lol Jade - "this is a ga-zee-bo, can you say ga-zee-bo?"). We truly had a great time! We didn't fight, we didn't hold grudges, we had fun, we were all just best friends! I could blog and blog and blog and blog about the good times and inside jokes we share. These people I met and spent time with in highschool were a huge building block in helping me become who I am today.

    
     (Tina, Delaney, Me, Jade)
                                     
Phase 3 - well after high school we all went our seperate ways. I'm sad to say we didn't really keep in touch for a few years. Jade and I have since talked about this and really it comes down to I was indugling in my church life and my friends were experimenting where they wanted their lives to go. So I continued on with where I was going. I full-throttle went into the single's ward and dated, partied, did the school thing, and just enjoyed the single life!

(me and Niki)

Phase 4 - I met Michael :) Best May 11th of my life hehe. Dating/engagement is a completly different ball park then single life. It was also extremely fun and entertaining and enjoyable.

Dating: we took a camping trip to Thunder in the Valley



Yup, he proposed in a snow bank!


Time & All Eternity



Phase 5 - currently in. AMAZING!

My family

One of my most prized blessings in life

As much as I have stated how much fun and wonderful the different phases are, I would never want to lose any of them. Each phase I have felt like I know everything (and of course in the moment I did right? lol), but wow the learning experiences we are faced with are phenominal. When I look at people in their different phases of life I always think that despite how wonderful they were, I would never want to go back because the more we grow the more we learn. I know that means 'aging' but frankly in the last 8 years specifically, the aging process hasn't really been that terrible! And I look at my own mother and she seems excited about life even still - grandbabies, watching her children succeed in various activites, etc. So that gives me hope. As my 10-year mark from graduation high school comes closer I look forward to it because it allows me to look at my life and truly see how happy I am/have been, and how lucky I am with all I have been blessed with.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I am constantly reflecting on these kinds of things, and since my 10 years since high school grad is coming up THIS spring, it's especially pertinent.
    Did I ever tell you that every time I read your blog I kick myself for not hanging out with you more when you lived just around the corner? sigh.
    Oh, and Jared LOVES Logan's car. He's jumping in it right now as happy as can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, we definetly didn't maximize our time together! At least we are now family so events and such will give us those opportunities to spend time together :)

    10 years huh? will you have a reunion to attend? if so, will you be able to go?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyla, your blog post made me tear up a bit. I am so grateful to have you in my life, and I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to share so many wonderful experiences with you. And I definitely look forward to sharing so many more with you and your wonderful family! -big hugs-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking back, if I reflect on my time with my friends, then I had a wonderful childhood & school experience. But if I include the time I spent feeling less of a person because I wasn't always "cool" or didnt have a boyfriend or was stuck babysitting my siblings, the experience was a darker time. I also have a family history of fluctuating hormones resulting in depression and mood swings that tainted that time as well. Like u basically say, I would be who I am now without who I was then so I have to keep the whole package.

    My ten year reunion was last year. Some of us started to plan a get together but I didnt have time/desire to be in charge and no one else fully stepped up to the plate so we had nothing. For the most part I keep in contact with those I want to so it didn't hurt my feelings too much. Maybe a 15 year reunion will be better...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant I wouldn't be who I am without that...

    ReplyDelete