Not sure 'goal' is the right word, but there are certain things that I have been determined to 'do differently' with my second child, and one of those was to -not- nurse my baby to sleep but somehow teach self soothing - or at least how to fall asleep with something other than the boob! lol.. It is something that I don't know whether would have helped Logan's current sleep issues or not, but I know that it didn't help things necessarily.
Anyways, tonight I nursed Carter and then right at the end he dirtied his diaper and thus I needed to change him which awoke him enough that he wasn't going to just lay down and go back to sleep. Now with Logan I would have just nursed him some more and been done with it, but tonight I had the specific mind set to put him back to sleep without - and I did! TWICE lol.. he fell asleep the first time, but then awoke from some gas pains - let out a big burp and then another poop, so I changed him again and then put him back to sleep!
This may seem really silly to some of you, but this is a huge step for me coming from what I had previously experienced. (It's actually extremely helpful that i'm aware of Carter's gas/tummy pains because nursing him continually actually makes him worse in some cases so I have the added incentive not to excessivly nurse him or it causes him physical pain from being 'too full' you could call it)
1 point for Team Kyla! go me!
PS. Had extremely amazing success taking Carter to the chiropractor...like, instant relief in an almost magical kind of way. I had tried Bowen and homeopaths, which helped to a certain degree but weren't really helping long term, so I remmebered hearing good things about chiro and took him in to my lady up the street - and holy cow! I was shocked. Stuck about 5 days, then I took him back for a follow up and he's just doing so well.
That's awesome that the chiro helped. I'm a huge fan of chiro, it got my through my pregnancy with Brett, I couldn't have moved without it.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with the self soothing thing. As bottle feeders, we have to be. By miscommunication, Ty ended up with night time bottles for a little while when he was spending a lot of time in Magrath and it was HORRIBLE to break him of that.