Okay - over the last 9-ish months I watched the entire Gilmore Girls series plus the "seasons" (I will call the Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall episodes the seasons for the sake of simplicity through the blog). And I have so many opinions I wanted to vent and share, so I figured why not get it out in a blog post, which in irony breaks a 2 year hiatus from my last blog post!
I also want to say that if you haven't watched everything, there are very clear and definite spoilers in this post.
First of all, in some ways this should be my last comment, but it's the one I most strongly feel about so i'm going to talk about it first:
Logan and Rory
When Logan proposed to Rory I truly believe that she should have said yes at that point. Especially because they clearly have feelings for each other in the "seasons" as they have a side relationship on a fairly consistent basis and Rory clearly relies on/turns to Logan for a lot (plus I am sure the baby is his).
But, I have VERY strong feelings about the fact her reasoning of wanting a career first was ridiculous. For the previous 2-3 years they had juggled being apart and very successfully kept their relationship going. Yes they had problems, but all of her relationships did and she being a self centered women raised by someone like Lorelai, I don't suspect much less! When push comes to shove though, For more years than not, Rory had a relationship with Logan who was always there for her no matter what and would have supported her through her Obama campaign and life ventures.
Rory and her other relationships:
Rory essentially had 3 main relationships and alot of broken hearts.
Dean: I was so happy to see Dean go. They rave about how he was such the perfect boyfriend and blah blah blah (they meaning Rory and Lorelai), but yet he was the most whiny, annoying one of them all. And the whole cheating portion of the series really made me angry. That's never okay no matter what you're feeling and its one of the reasons I find Rory's character so fake.
Sidebar comment about Rory: I never understood why everyone put her on this big pedestal. She was a home wrecker, cheating, spoiled rich girl who got what she wanted when she wanted it - sure she was kind to people, but that doesn't undo the other stuff.
Jess: I always liked Jess. He was a neat character and it was nice to see Rory have to be hurt instead of doing all the hurting (Dean, Dean's ex, Marty, even Paul at the end, and Jess in some ways). I thought he was a great match for her but at the same time he needed years of growing up. By the end, I love the parallelism between Jess is Rory's Luke, and Logan is Rory's Christopher. But I do think she should have ended up with Logan. But Jess would be a great choice as well! (I feel the same about Luke and Christopher - both were acceptable)
Logan: Rory may have been raised by Lorelai, but she was a "Gilmore" through and through and Logan was her perfect match to match her high maintenance personality. Logan was fun and exciting and pushed her to new limits and then of course his father had all the connections to what she wanted out of life (I won't be talking about the Huntsbergers at this time lol). Logan also truly loved her. I can't know for sure if he'd be faithful to Rory considering he wasn't faithful to his fiancée WITH Rory.
Loralai
Oh Lorelai. She was ridiculously funny and that speaks alot for her character, but her apple didn't fall far from her tree - she was so self centered and the queen of the world. The more I think about her as a character, humor doesn't go that far when you treat everyone around you like garbage. Her mother and father, Luke, Christopher, Jason, Max, etc. were all by products of her horrible relationship skills. She is really quite a trashy person actually the more I think on it! She treats Sooki horribly (granted I do know the show wasn't about Sooki, but rarely did you EVER see her ask how she was, she only used Sooki as a sounding board - 1 way friendship), and she did that with everyone in the show far as I could tell.
I most was disappointed in how she treated her mother. Now don't get me wrong - Emily was a fairly snot faced nasty herself, but how many times did Lorelai hurt her mother through the series by not calling her when something big happened. And then Lorelai would apologize and do it again 2 episodes down the road! Like come on - don't be such a jerk! She trashed Emily and Richard every chance she could and I hated that - but again, I know why they did it (for the sake of the entertainment of the show)
Seasons
Now the seasons - I really liked the seasons minus the weird "musicals" and dance-offs they had an overwhelming abundance of, but I hated the ending. If you're going to end it like that I really think they should have planned a continuance of the show.
Here's my full thoughts on the end on why I think Logan is the father. In the "seasons" she slept with only 2 characters: the "wookie", and multiple times: Logan. Now don't quote me on this, but I think the one night stand happened too many weeks back so it felt like she'd be farther along by the time she told Lorelai.
But! with Logan, the conversation with Christopher (who I alluded earlier in this post that I felt was a parallel between Logan being "Rory's Christopher") about whether he wished he'd been more involved, etc makes me think it's Logan. ALL THAT BEING SAID - Logan would NOT be like Christopher (mainly because neither of them are 16 years old but rather 32). They were totally head over heels for each other, and Logan would be a very actively involved father I feel if he were given the chance, but back to my comments about Rory being self centered and "all about her" I could see her keeping it from him (or whoever the father is). ...and if they continued the show that would be when Jess would step in as the one who has always deeply cared for only Rory to save her.
But on another note: if this is a case with their long history that if it IS Logan's baby, they really should just get married and Rory can try and end this vicious cycle that her mother started of "needing to be independent and alone until I decide its best" mentality.
Lol. Did I express myself well? Anyways, that's what I feel - I don't respect the Gilmore Girls as people, but I certainly found the show entertaining and obviously it made me feel alot of emotions for various characters! Which to me is great entertainment :)
No comments:
Post a Comment