My mom is who introduced me to Bowen. I had never heard of it, and had no intention of really doing much with it, but then my mom was having some major success! She has had chronic back pain for 10+ years and now she has little to NO backpain what-so-ever. How is that even possible you ask? Well Bowen did it! She has had 3 sessions and voila - results. I became interested, and more specifically I was interested in the "simplicity" of it. As alot of you know I am trained in Touch for Health, and though I love TFH, I was having a hard time with it because it is so broad and I lacked confidence in myself on treating other people. I just didn't know where to start all the time! (that's a whole other blog though)
So what IS Bowen? That's a really good question. I still don't really know how to describe it! But, I thought I would use my blog to do my homework. Our assignment for next class is in our own words describe what Bowen is. So here is attempt #1.
In a Bowen treatment a person would come to the practitioner with their ailment, pain, or whatever else is bothering them. At that point after deciding where to start, the client would lay down (easiest to lay down but can be done standing or sitting) and as a practitioner I would make various "moves" over different muscles, fascia and tissue. These moves are small rolling motions, and when a move is done it triggers the nervous system (kind of like a guitar string, you strum it and it vibrates for a moment and settles). After you make the move (or in some cases a couple moves) the practitioner leaves the room for a few moments to allow the body to integrate the movement made (in the guitar string theory, we are waiting for the vibration to stop). After those few moments I would come back and continue - leaving the room after movement (or set of) made.
That's more of less it! We are sending signals to your nervous system who in turn signals the brain that a change is happening and your body readjusts itself. Pretty neat huh?
And for now, that is my best definition of Bowen (in my own words). I need people to practice on and people to be my case studies, so all volunteers welcome!!
I think your explanation sounds great and I love the visual of the guitar strings. I'm very excited to be a test subject for you and am hoping I'll have the same great success as your mama. If I do, I'll be your biggest (literally) support.
ReplyDelete:) do you have back pain crystal? that is the major extent of my talents thus far - relaxation and upper/lower back pain! I'm excited to be able to practice - I'm afraid i'll lose what I learned if I don't get moving with it!
ReplyDelete