Well, I have to admit, a part of me has always loved moving. It is a chance to go through all your stuff and de-junk or take a little trip down memory lane as you go through things and you have a chance to clean things thoroughly! Also I love the adventure of settling somewhere knew - kind of like a 'fresh start' if you will!
On the other side of the coin moving takes alot of time and energy, and up to this point in my life my parents have done the grunt of the work, or it's just been -my- stuff, not my stuff, my husband's stuff AND a toddler's stuff (and all his boxed up baby stuff, etc). Also adding a new twist to it this time around is that up until this point I never settled anywhere before! As a child you're fairly pliable, and whenever we moved it was just around the same town. As a 'single adult' I didn't mind the unknown because it just fit everything else in my life! But now.. I have been married three years, have a child, a great church calling, friends, and the list goes on. I am actually heartbroken to give up my 'comfort zone' that I am currently in!
I should say though, deep down the love of the adventure still looms and once we're actually moved life will resume again and I will once again become settled but in the mean time it's more of a challenge than I EVER anticipated!
The House Hunt
We started looking for housing about 2 weeks ago. We were quickly reminded that no renter wants to rent a home until the very time you can move in! So for me that is a huge struggle because I am impatient and a planner and need closure - but I have no choice except to wait until October 1st before I can even start LOOKING!
In the mean time though I had an extremely stressful experience with a lady who meant well but still caused me undue stress. She offered us her place to move in Oct 1st and through a long drawn out process told us she wanted us to move and would waive the damage deposit. Incredible right? Well the problem is that we are tied to our current place and have to pay rent here also. The lady (wealthier than I of course) saw it as since we said we could pay her the d.d. Oct 1st, we were neither out money and would still get our d.d back from our current place. WELL.. from someone who is on the verge of beyond broke, the beauty of a d.d is that we will get it -back- at the end of our time in that home. But she was so persistant and it just caused me undue stress because I have a hard enough time saying no, so after saying no multiple times she still persisted. The long and short of it is that the house was -ok- but not ok enough... it had some issues that I was concerned about on Logan's behalf more than anything.
So we will wait until the first of October and try again! And in the mean time I will continue to -think- about packing but probably won't start for a few more weeks :) Wish us luck!
PS. The reason we are moving for those who don't know, is that Michael has a new job out in Cochrane.
I too love the adventure of moving...and so far have had very positive success. First with my move to Red Deer from Grimshaw and now to Leduc. It's like an equivilent to a new school year (mmm, the smell of new school supplies) or New Year resolutions or spring cleaning.
ReplyDeleteYou should blog about the specifics of Michael's new job :-)