Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Homeschooling update

Last night I was informed by a good friend about an information night that the Cochrane Home Educators association (CHE) was having - so I decided that I would attend, despite the fact i'm a few years from needing to register, etc. I learned SO much and really was able to concrete my decision into my head. It was really great. The format was they had everyone go around and tell their story as to what brought them to homeschooling or why they were considering homeschooling or in some cases why they like homeschooling (there were homeschool students and homeschool graduates present also)

Let me share with you what I learned:

1. CHE offers lots and lots of specialized care for their families - ex: every friday they rent many facilities at Cochrane's community centre - the kids call it "gym day". They also have art classes and if they happen to have a specialized teacher coming in, if I understand correctly Friday is the day they would be available to be seen (a science teacher for example).
2. There are 98 -families- registered in Cochrane this year, that's not including how many kids each family has.
3. There are 4 types of homeschooling. I forget the exact terminology but i'll explain each type.
     a) Type 1 you follow the Alberta curriculum 100% (which means your child will be expected to do all the standarized tests in gr 3, 6, 9 & 12)
     b) Type 2 you follow the Alberta curriculum for certain subjects and find your own curriculum (or way of teaching) for the others
     c) Type 3 you follow whatever curriculum you choose to teach your children
     d) "no"schooling - which means you allow your children to choose what they want to learn when they want to - and it's typically not done through bookwork. (Before you judge this method I have now met multiple children who are extremely intelligent, and as of last night even met one who has a university degree in business)
4. There is funding available to you for your homeschooling venture. I was never 100% sure on this, so now I know. The above types are what determines what kind of funding you recieve. Type 1 gets you the most, type 2 is next, type 3 is next - and i'm not sure if you get any with no-schooling.
5. Cochrane allows you to do a mixed schooling so if you wanted to send your child to school part time for certain subjects and teach them the others you can.
6. Kids aren't homeschooled just because they are struggling
7. Social aspect is all based on the parent and how they involve their children in the communities available to them. Frankly this concern when I was fully judgemental on homeschooling was an issue but as I have sat down and pondered the concept I got to thinking that my biggest issues with public school was the social aspect! Junior High is what destroyed me emotionally, and I even had poor image thoughts as early as grade 4! Its possibly I would have been better off if I had been homeschooled (emotionally and academically). ...so if anyone tries to tell me Logan won't be socially apt because he is homeschooled is completely out of line because that is an outright lie.
8. I learned that each homeschooling parent has their moments of doubt and uncertainty and they suggested giving it at least 3 years before passing final judgement because the first your you are figuring things out, the 2nd you doubt yourself and the 3rd you finally are getting a grip on things! lol

So needless to say after listening to the couple dozen stories and ideas and suggestion (and seeing the major support in the CHE) I really firmed up my decision, so if people ask me now I can confidently say that my children will be homeschooled. This is all of course circumstantial - if we move from Cochrane before then and there isn't as much support or activity available to us to utilize I might change but my first instinct is that I will still continue through with my plan, it just might be a little more work than if I were here still! I love my child(ren) and want the best for them and to me personally this is the best for them.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome! I'm sure it will be great and it sounds like a very supportive community to homeschool in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll do a great job. Have you thought about which home school path you're going to take?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had planned to answer that question in my blog, but I guess I was just thinking about it alot! My thoughts and plan at this point is option 3 - do my own curriculums so I can then find ones that work best for my children, and then depending where their direction/interests lie I would likely go towards the Alberta curriculum in high school to get those core subjects (specifically math 30) so it makes getting into Uni/college a little less of a challenge and a few less hoops to jump through! I have alot of respect after learning and meeting kids who did no-schooling, and I won't do that with Logan, but alot of parents said that as they got more confident and experienced with homeschooling they just naturally fell towards that, so i'm not completely closed to it, but I would never do 100% noschooling, just might adapt it a little - like for example if one child absoultely hates math, I may not 'force' them to take a curriculum but rather work it into every day life teaching to make it more enjoyable? (at the grocery store, in the mall, at family functions if eve rpossible, etc)

    But yes, option 3 is where I'm at presently!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. I was wondering how admittance to college/university would work with he no schooling. While I will likely do public school for Dexter, I plan to supplement his education at home with he things I think are lacking in the regular curriculum: budgeting, understanding interest rates, how to evaluate a loan/ credit card/mortgage, and then some everyday things that some kids are missing like how to grocery shop, how to cook & bake real meals, laundry: life skills! There's a ton more but I can't think off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete