In case you think i'm overly worried, I need to tell you that i'm not -extremely- concerned, but my personality is just an overanalyzing type, so whether its a problem or not, i'm very aware of things - it's just how my mind operates.
Okay, Carter doesn't say ANY words. Truly. No. Words. At. All. He makes sounds - he can do the mamama, dadada, bababa, etc but he doesn't associate mama and dada to us specifically by calling us those words. If we say 'where's mommy?' he can find me, and can do so for all people/animals he "knows". He's smart too, he's not behind in understanding. He just doesn't talk.
I have gone ahead and filled out a development form at our local Parent Link Center for kids age 17 months to 18 months. He's only 17.5 months, so he's certainly closer to the beginning of the survey. I will redo it in a months time - and I will have his vaccinations in two weeks here where a health nurse will 'analyze' him also. Anyways, when I filled out the form he passed everything with flying colors (motor skills, problem solving, etc) but failed miserably the communcation section. I am monitoring him and am not pushing him to talk - but am definetly making the effort to encourage him to say -anything-....so when he points and grunts at something, I just make an extra point of saying "oh, are you looking for the ball?...THIS ball? Do you want this ball? the yellow ball? Here you go, here is the ball" ...I don't sit down with him and repeat phrases like "say ball Carter, say ball" because I don't want to frusterate him...I am just trying to focus on looking directly at him when I speak so he can see my lips.
The reason for that is I am curious if his delay is linked at all to his hearing - he has had so many ear infections. He can hear, that I know - I have tested him by calling his name not too loudly when his back is turned to me, and he will turn and look to me....but there are (very few) times he doesn't which could just be him ignoring me - kids do that sometimes lol. Anyways, I am just being proactive and paying attention to his development just in case.
Anyways, LOVE my boy! He's such a great personality and brings joy to me and our family. I am just a protective mama bear and have an over analytical brain :)
Hello Kyla, long time, no speak.
ReplyDeleteIs Carter the younger of the two? if so, then it is highly possible that he has found ways to get what he wants without words. Sometimes an older sibling will help out so much that they don't need to speak. Though when they finally do, they can do so fairly well.
Having the ear infections could be a possible deterrent, but if he hears you most times, I think it is little to worry about (not that I am any sort of medical professional or anything).
Anyways, it seems that you are doing great. Glad to see that you are able to be a stay-at-home mom. My wife loves being one too.
I also don't know if you even remember me, but this is Jonathan Fong, I used to live in Red Deer, but now I live in Ottawa, Ontario.
And there you have my drab response...
~Jon Fong (I still have the same elderfong@hotmail email address too)