Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sleep Training

We have embarked on the painful sleep-trianing journey with Logan! As most of my close family and friends know, Logan was a challenge in this department, and when we moved into the condo/townhouse in Canyon Meadows he refused to sleep in a crib despite our best efforts. He then moved into my bed with me, which was something I had previously vowed never to do, but I caved when it was the only way I as going to get a good nights sleep without doing the cry it out method. (Side note: we attempted that a few times in his early months but each and every attempt ended the same way - he would either cry so hard he would vomit, or he would cry himself to sleep and just be awake less than an hour later and even madder)

Anyways, we took the opportunity to set up Logan's new bed (okay, a double mattress on the floor until we can get a bedframe lol) in the new house and he was estatic to have a BIG bed! He was so excited to see his toys and bed all in the same room. The goal was not to let him sleep in our bed at all once moved, and i'm shocked but he hasn't wanted to even go in my bed once since being here - he doesn't even really go IN our room at all! Don't jump to any conclusions - he hasn't slept through the night yet, and I have spent many an hour in his new room myself, but I would rather go to his room, settle him down then head back to mine. So that's what we have done!

Night 1: I slept the whole night with him - new room and all I figured he would be most comfortable that way.
Night 2: I let him cry for about 20 mins before going to rescue him. After that he slept alone about 5 hrs before waking for a drink from a bottle, then went back to sleep the rest of the night.
Night 3: I let him cry again for about 20 mins and accidently fell asleep next to him for a few hours - then I left and he continuned to sleep a while longer.

And it's been fairly positive the whole week here. Last night was the first 'step backwards'. He figured out how to open his door, and I don't believe in locking him in, but I might put a gate up on the hallway side so he can't wander the house. He woke up every couple hours last night, so I let him cry but I was with him in the room. Eventually after on-and-off sleep till about 2am, he crashed till 7:30.

So yes, I am VERY pleased with the progress. Obviously this isn't a one-night-fix and will take some time. My goal is to have him sleeping without needing me by the time his sibling rolls around (whenever that may be) LOL Gives me a window of time anyways :)

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. Considering my own sleep challenges, I shouldn't have been surprised that sleep training would be an issue with Dexter, but I was! I'm glad to hear that you are making some progress. I loved having Dexter sleep with me as I felt really close to him, but I didn't realize how much independence I had lost until he began sleeping in his own crib. I hope you continue to have success despite little set backs along the way.

    ReplyDelete