Well the annual Relief Society Broadcast was tonight and it was again just phenominal! I am glad that as I am growing ....older isn't the right word, and neither is 'maturing' lol... but as I prioritize things in my life, the church and gospel has truly become a central beacon to my life, decision making, and planning. Tonights speakers included all three members of the General Relief Society presidency, followed by Pres. Monson. Most of the notes I took are for my eyes only and will forever live in my written journal, but some interesting points to ponder are as follows:
-God is a God of love - why else would he have created the plan of happiness, and given us free agency, etc.
-Faith and hope can get you through most everything - we just need to know where to direct that faith and hope.
-Visiting Teaching - allos us to show compassion and be like Christ. If we think of our visiting teaching in a way of 'what would Jesus do' to help this/these sisters, our visiting teaching will turn from being a duty to being an act of love and service for others. Visiting teaching is -never- done!
-Charity Never Faileth. Charity is the pure love of Christ. Thus: The Pure Love of Christ Never Faileth.
-President Monson's anecdote on judging others: Lisa and Tom moved into a new neighborhood. Lisa looked out the window at her neighbor hanging out her laundry and was appalled! "Tom, that laundry is filthy! Our neighbors don't have the foggiest on how to clean their clothing!" and so on every time the neighbors put out their clothes Lisa would comment on the awful job she did on washing her clothing. One day she looked out her window and gasped. "Tom! Look at our neighbors - she finally learned how to clean her clothes - look how clean they are!" Tom looked at Lisa and asked her if she wanted to know how the neighbors had done it. Lisa of course was beyond curious and Tom looked at her and said "this morning before you got up, I washed our windows."
President Monson's talk (anecdote and the rest of the talk he gave) struck a cord with me. I am the first to admit I am judgmental, and I am even quicker to admit on occasion when I feel judged. I hope to take some of his wonderful points on judgement and charity and truly apply them into my life. Again, I would love to share more but that is all I feel I should publicly share.
I too find myself being more judgemental than I wish to be. I think I have gotten better, but there is still much progress to be made. Love the anedote, and "cheers" to improving ourselves every day :-)
ReplyDelete