Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

My 'single-mom' week

Monday of this week I got a call from Michael saying he was being sent up to Edmonton for 4 days. He came home that afternoon, packed his bags and off he went. Today is Thursday and he's supposed to come home either late tonight, or tomorrow morning. I hope that's the truth!

So this week the challenges that I have faced have been different then I would have anticipated them to be:
1. I truly TRULY miss that evening adult contact. To be able to have a conversation with someone close to me, and just to even have the body of another adult present really brings me serious completeness. The phone and email do not do enough justice to fill that gap.
2. I have actually experienced "boredom" this week. Being in a new town, new house, etc, I have no schedule yet. I have small things to do some days of the week or errands to run, but nothing that lasts more than an hour or two. Being alone means I have Logan, and must entertain Logan from morning till bedtime. I usually have the extra set of hands come supper time.
3. This is kind of linked my #2, but I feel bad for Logan because I cannot sit on the floor and play for hours and hours - it's just not my thing. I can do bits and pieces. With the weather turning colder we cannot go outside, so I'm constantly trying to think of new and free or low-cost things to do. I am starting to feel like i'm a lazy mother, which when I step back and look at things, I am most definetly not - but those feelings of inadaquacy are sinking in more often the longer I am alone!

Anyways, should Michael get called away for more than 2 nights again, I will definetly go to my mom's or have her come here and stay with me because it's not my thing. I'm sure over time I will get used to it, and I will start to meet more friends - or any friends for that matter! I have made acquaintances, but I am far from feeling comfortable calling them up to get together yet, or just 'dropping in' like I used to do with my 'old life'.

Bonus: when Michael goes away he makes KILLER overtime which will be so nice for our pocketbook. I have implemented savings plans for the following: a) downpayment on a home b) vacation/"stuff" c) emergency fund. For now that is all I will worry about, the majority of our savings going into (a).

4 comments:

  1. Being a "single mom" can be quite a challenge in so many ways! Add to that, your new town and I imagine you had a bit of a rough week. It's nice that you can reach out to your mom though so hopefully that will help for next time.

    I've been reading about savings and it's recommended to have 6 months of income put away for an Emergency Fund. Doesn't that seem like a crazy amount of money?

    ReplyDelete
  2. as far as savings my church has always counselled that also - we've never had more than 2 months, but for now my goal is to reach the 2 months savings mark for sure on TOP of our 'play' money.

    I would have gone to my mom's this week but she DITCHED me and went to visit HER mom in Saskatoon! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's the other thing, any amount of emergency savings is better than none. And then you can keep adding to it over time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I also wanted to say that I am horrible at doing the whole playing on the ground with Dexter. It's just not where my skills/talents are.

    ReplyDelete