There is a place in town called Crossfit Cochrane that I have found. It is a gym I suppose but it is kind of different then your usual gym set up. I met with Mike (the owner) in his facilitiy and this is what I found:
-He is a personal trainer and he either personal trains or runs classes sort of similar to a bootcamp but instead of being outdoors or using your own body for resistance he's set up with all the gym equipment for everyone. I chose to do the classes because it brings the cost down.
-You can pay month by month, there are no obigations to sign up for a year or three year memberships.
-You can bring your children (free of charge) and there's a play corner with toys for them to play while you take your class.
-He sits down with you 3 times individually to do testing, assessment and program set up
So I have met with him three times now. He created a workout program for me. I am to come into his gym for 2 classes a week, and I paid for 4 weeks. The nice thing is that you are required to come for those 2 per week classes, cuz if you miss you lose them and cannot use them later. I like that because then you're motivated to do it! And then he set me up with a 3 day home program.
One of the sit-down assessments was food/nutrition based and he looked at what the past week, and had me track my food for a couple of days to see what I should/shouldn't be doing. So in the end he gave me a food plan that's pretty darn close to what I already do, with a few tweaks. I am VERY excited to give it a try. My goal is kind of wishy-washy because I want to lose 8-10lbs, but pounds I know are hard to judge by because of building muscle and getting fit can actually push the scale number up at first. Anyways, I have measurements done, and he said he might even do a fat-analysis body composition test on me, and my goal is to lose lots of inches in the thigh/butt area.
Wish me luck! My first class will be Tuesday, and I will try and get the ol' jogging stroller out for a few days before the weather turns too cold.
That's sounds so exciting. I'm jealous of the free child care LOL Thankfully we do have a day care center at our LRC but it's $5.20/hour. Still cheaper than a "sitter" though, especially when you add in the travel time.
ReplyDeleteI like the sounds of his program & I know you'll have success with it. You say you want to lose 8-10 lbs so I was wondering how you came up with that number? Is it a target weight or is it how you want your body to look? You later say you want to lose inches off your thigh/butt area so I'm guessing that's where the real issue is...
I'm also curious as to what tweaks he made to your eating?
yes my weight is mostly in that area so inches there is most important, but on a vain level I've always secretly wanted to weigh per the scale between 125 & 130 - to be in the 120s at all would be a real milestone marker. I think I last weighed that in like grade 6!
ReplyDeleteAnd I should have blogged this, but I actually opted to leave him at my neighbors for a small fee (she runs a day home)this 4-week stretch because Logan is not at an age where he likes to be restrained, and to lock him into the play area would really peeve him off and I wouldn't actually get any work done! the older he gets the more understanding he gets thankfully.
And the tweaks he made is an increase in protein and a decrease in grains and 'bad carbs'. so no more rice cakes, rice, or potatoes for me! and he wants me to eat more fats too. It's been a struggle cuz as a calorie counter to consume more of things that are higher cal scares me and gives me anxiety. BUT the reason i'm giving it a try is that i'm at a standstill and need to almost jumpstart my body a bit. Also i've been opted towards not-so-great food choices more and more so it's nice to re-adjust and get back on track!
PS. He also has really encouraged quality protein also - so I'm making a huuuge effort to cut out all processed meats. It's been a challenge because processed is so much quicker sometimes, but it's been going okay!
ReplyDeleteI'm surprise he cut out rice AND potatoes. Did he at least suggest brown rice or was it no starchy carbs period?
ReplyDeleteWhat are the processed meats? Like deli meat?
Oh & I can totally understand about the babysitter!
ReplyDeleteno grains at all. i mean, they're on my list if I so choose but they're on the 'not as good of a choice' list. he gave me a list with a huuuge variety of food rated by quality and portion size, etc. it's kind of neat to see.
ReplyDeleteprocessed meats would include deli meat, but boxed stuff - like chicken nuggets, chicken fingers, boxed meatballs, boxed chicken wings, and so on.
Ah I see. So question (which I hope isn't offensive), if you follow this diet plan and reach your weight, how do you maintain it? Do you have to stay "grain free" forever?
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't think so. My experience is that once I reach and maintain a weight for a period of time I can usually stay there (like I've been at the current weight for about a year - regardless what I choose to eat... granted if I start to see the scale go up then I usually live on the side of caution for a couple days which levels me out)... so what I woudl do is reach and maintain, then start experimenting back into what makes me happier.
ReplyDeleteThe main thing is that this makes me happy :) I am okay with that!
PS. And If leaving out all grains meant that was the only way my body will stay in a shape i want, then i would consider that as an sacrafice. i could never give them up completely, but i could definetly cut them back - I BARELY ever eat them now - maybe once or twice a week?
ReplyDelete