So Logan was a little slow on the draw (from what i've been told) but he mastered the word 'no' within the last 2-3 days. He hadn't EVER used it before, like truly, he just didn't say no to anything. Now that it's a new word he says no to everything even if he really means yes. Most of the time it's cute ;).
Anyways, to me it makes sense that he learns it right now because we're also starting to enforce 'time outs' which we never really did before. We are using the Supernanny time out rules which have been fairly effective actually! I'll share that here:
1. Go down to their level and speak to them about what they are doing incorrect (use eye contact)
2. GIve them ONE warning that if they do it again they will be sent to the naughty chair (or whatever you use)
3. If the offense is repeated take them to the chair.
4. Sit them down and explain to them why they are there. Do not over talk to them at this point, explain the situation ONLY then walk away.
5. Length of time out is 1 minute per number of their age. So i've rounded Logan up to 2 mins since he's so close. A timer and a visual aid for the child to watch is useful.
6. At the end of time out the child must apologize (in Logan's case he can't say that word yet). Give your child a hug and kiss and express your love to them.
It's fairly effective but you have to be consistent!
I want to use this method as well, I'm a big fan of Supernanny & it seems to work in each situation. Do you know if there is a minimum age to start? I have tried doing it a little but I forgot the warning part (kind of crucial LOL).
ReplyDeleteCrystal
I don't know if there is a min age or not, but what is Dex at right now? I noticed huge differences in Logan understanding and potential for maturity once he hit 18 months, and specifically this past few weeks he is speaking more and communicating more and more... he will actually sit the entire 2 minutes on the chair without a fuss at this point so he knows he's done something he shouldn't. It's all child based but I know on supernanny there are PLENTY of 2 year olds in time out!
ReplyDelete