Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Group B Strep

So at my appointment this morning I learned that my lab results show that I have -urinary- group B strep which means I am being put on antibiotics to hopefully clear it up for good before labor. In the mean time I have caused myself slight stress (not extreme so please no comments stating 'don't stress', that just causes me irritation on top of it all LOL).

Things I've researched:
  • Group B streptococcus, or group B strep, is a bacterium that causes life- threatening infections in newborns. Group B strep can also cause disease in pregnant women, the elderly, and adults with other illnesses.

  • Many people carry group B strep bacteria in their bodies without developing infection or illness. However, the bacteria can become deadly to people with weakened immune systems.

  • Pregnant women can transmit group B strep to their newborns at birth. Group B strep is the most common cause of blood infections and meningitis in newborns.

  • Most cases of group B strep disease in newborns can be prevented by giving certain pregnant women antibiotics during labor

    • Pregnant women who are infected with GBS are at increased risk of preterm delivery, infection of the amniotic fluid (bag of water), and infection of the uterus after delivery.
    • Newborns who are infected with GBS can develop pneumonia (lung infection), septicemia (blood infection), or meningitis (infection of the lining of the brain and spinal cord).


    The stress for me comes is that there's a chance that the GBS will in fact be cleared up but it doesn't mean it won't return, so at 37 weeks they will recheck to see where it's at. However, because i've now had -urinary- group b, they will treat me with antibiotics regardless EXCEPT if the baby comes as fast or faster than Logan, then I won't be able to have the antibiotics as it takes 4 hours for it to kick in and be affective to the baby.

    Wish us luck! I'm not overly worried at this point but my stress levels went up a point from like a 1 to a 2 on a scale of 1-10 for this pregnancy LOL so it's not a huge rise.

    4 comments:

    1. Just one more thing to worry about eh? What happens if they dont have time to give the full antibiotics when baby comes?

      ReplyDelete
    2. Heather had to do the antibiotics as well. I'm sure all will be fine, but I do understand why it would raise your stress level. I know mine rose when we found out that Ty only had 1 umbilical artery.

      ReplyDelete
    3. With all three of mine, no joke it was the same story, they couldn't "locate" my test result ?? Anyways, I know its serious enough that they were concerned although I had c sections. They will just pop an IV on you with Medication. This seemed to clear everyone's worry in my casw, easy enough! I know you hate needles, but you will do just fine!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Ops that was from Christy marsh!

      ReplyDelete