Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Monday, July 4, 2011

Wedding Cake


So this is my first wedding cake i've ever made! Details: 3 tiers, bottom tier is chocolate cake, top two are white cake, buttercream covered, fake decorations.

(Jade if you're reading this I am not complaining, I am just sharing the details of all the work - I would do it all over again!)

Wedding cakes are ALOT of work! Holy smokes! Michael build the oil derrick cake topper for me - he probably alone spent 4-6 hours over the past couple months working on it. Then I spent a couple hours brainstorming and collecting supplies. To bake the actual cakes took about 4-5 hours, and then to decorate them (icing specificially as we used buttercream and to get buttercream that smooth looking is alot of work) we spent (my mom and I) about 2-3 hours. I can absolutely see why people charge what they do to make cakes because aside from the supplies alone, the time it takes really does add up!

BUT, I had a reeeeally good time doing it! I'm proud of my end result for sure. It was just a longer process then I ever -really- imagined. I probably wouldn't make a wedding cake again though unless a really good friend asked me to for them. There is too much stress on the perfection side of things for my liking! Also I want it to be extravagent and big and I just don't have the training or skills to do that.. I can't expect my mom to help me -EVERY- time lol.

so yes, that's that! The bride seemed pleased so that's all that matters :)

2 comments:

  1. You did great! Cakes are a lot of work, though, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cakes are tons of work. I've decided to order a cake for Dexter's birthday again this year. Last year I got one from Walmart & it looked good but tasted horrible. This year I'm ordering from a place called "once upon a cake". I've had their cakes before & they're delicious. Little pricey but beautiful.

    PS you are so good at making cakes! This one looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete