Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Friday, July 29, 2011

Nutritionist results

I have discovered something about myself and parenting. When my child (and likely all my children) has some sort of problem or issue that may or may not be viewed as a concern to a doctor or anyone else for that matter, I am unable to just let it go and see how things 'work out' - I am the proactive type that goes until it's fixed or at least I have closure on it.

What am I talking about you may ask? Well, with Logan (per other blogs), he has had ups and downs with his eating habits, his sleeping habits, etc. In particular recently his eating habits have been less than acceptable, and as I noticed the eating go downhill I noticed his sleep patterns go downhill, and then I noticed his eyes getting those dark circles under them again (which is what triggered me to take him to my blood reader last time). Anyways, I decided to tackle the food aspect this time around and got busy and found a natural nutritional therapist to take him to (and Michael but i'll talk about Michael's results later lol).

Before going to see her I had to track his food intake and I had to do this online survey. The food tracking was a huge eye opener as Logan is truly worse than I even thought. His daily avg diet included a huge amount of milk (like i'm talking Logan goes through a 4L a week), fruit snacks or things similar, maybe a banana, a slice or two (or more if he was particular hungry) of watermelon, a juice box, a freezie and cracker-y type foods. Then of course he always seemed to snag some sort of candy from somewhere - whether it was a 'treat' at the grocery store or from a playgroup or a driving bribe (lol yes I do that). Logan does not want anything to do with meats, or vegetables, or most fruits, or even sandwiches anymore, or muffins or cookies, or anything of the sort.. he's particular about his junk food and even worse about his healthy food.

Okay, so I took these things (embarassed of course) to the lady (Colleen is her name). First of all she asked me what I eat, and I told her my typical eating habits and she asked me why Logan just doesn't eat what I eat. Of course I have asked myself that question over and over, and for me personally I was always concerned about Logan -not- eating that probably around 18 months and on he just started getting more and more junk-ish foods offered to him just to be sure he was eating -something- and then it's snowballed and I haven't known -how- to get him off of it. She just looked at me and honestly stated that he will not starve. If he's hungry he should eat.

So anyways, this is why I went to see a nutrionist! It's kind of like the sleep therapist, I need someone to be accountable to. Being Logan's age, she has some research she needs to do on certain areas and will get back to me with more information, but in the meantime she actually wants me to have Logan checked out for Type 1 Diabetes just to rule that out (the reason being that Logan is a drink-aholic and of course thus pees often, which is one sign, and also per the survey he is charted as having sugar highs and lows which can also be a sign). Apparently it runs in Michael's side of the family so she said it's easier just to have him tested and know one way or another. The other recommendation she has made is that we cut out 100% sugar and products, and cut out all Dairy. (great, lol everything he eats right?). She 'prescribed' him a couple natural products to aid with digestion (another issue she figures he's having which is not a surprise to me) and something to help with the sugar cravings that he likely will have.

Now i'm not one to waste things and i happen to have a jug of milk just barely open in the fridge and a almost finished juice in the fridge, etc so I will likely ween Logan down to just a cup of milk a day and water down the juice significantly just so as not to waste it. Otherwise if Logan has a nap today I will go through the pantry and top shelf (out of sight out of mind) all the 'snack foods' that he eats as his daily meals. She warned us that he will likely get worse before he gets better.

Okay, as for Michael. I wanted Michael to go because he constantly suffers from digestive type problems (Colleen determined it's all intestinal based - which if your intestines aren't working many other organs aren't functioning either). Logan was not happy yesterday so I was keeping him entertained so I didn't get the 'whole story' for Michael, but she did make food suggestions for him and has a few supplements for him also. His big thing is that he has to give up Dairy 100% for the next two weeks (looks like most of the milk is mine? too bad I don't drink it either! sigh lol) Of course he's also supposed to cut all sugars too. And he is supposed to significantly increase his vegetable intake (go figure, i've been saying that for years). it's a 40-30-30 ratio that he's supposed to eat. 40% carbs, 30% fats, 30% protein. Her BIGGEST recommendation to both of them (and everyone realy) is just to eat good, whole foods.

Colleen showed me the charts and such and showed me noticible similarities between Logan and Michael and that Logan was following Michael's path so-to-speak. My biggest fears lay around Logan's journey to eating better. I dont' mind purging our house of sugar and such, but it's going to be very difficult to have him see other kids having snacks and treats at the park, or going to people's houses and them offering him things before i've had a chance to warn them that he can't eat that stuff, etc - especially over the course of the next month or two. That's how long i'd like to enforce the eating rules so it's instilled.. i'm not against him having a treat here and there, but that's where it all started and it's partially (trying not to blame myself completely as that's not fair to me either) my fault that he got started down this path, so of course i'll do whatever I can do 'fix' it.

Anyways, that was our journey last night! I will definetly let you know how it all turns out over the coming while - Logan is going to be very upset i'm pretty certain, especially during those times when he would typicaly get a sugar high and lows and all he'll be offered is vegetables, protein, whole grains, or water.

Wish us luck! And PS. Don't send any junk food our way :) lol

4 comments:

  1. Is the online survey her's or just a general one? I wonder how much of Caleb's behavioral issues could be attributed to his diet. Looking forward to hearing how things go for Logan (and Michael).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you pick this particular Nutrionalist? I ask because I think there are lots of different "food philosophies" depending on what stuff people study :-) I.E. She recommend they both get off dairy & sugar...I wonder if she tells everyone that?

    That being said, it's a pretty logical conclusion that our diet effects our behavior: the fuel we put in effects our functionability.

    I find veggies pretty challenging with Dexter. While I suppose he "wouldn't starve" I do wonder how long it would take before he would actually eat everything we gave him??? Right now he will sometimes put it in his month, but if he doesn't like it, he spits it out.

    Definitely keep me posted on how things go!

    P.S.- I've come across the 40/30/30 rule before and I think it's fairly logical too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The milk thing for Logan: I plan to let him have 1 cup of milk a day vs 4-5 cups a day from this point out - he's drinking away his cals with milk and juice and -that- is what I have a problem with more than anything (like you, I don't think milk is evil, just moderation and he is addicted to it). With Michael, he needs to cut out the dairy to see if it's a dairy intolerance that is aiding his digestive issues (ie: his intestinal problems).

    I could never let Logan starve...but if he's hungry he doesn't need fruit snacks and chips and candy - even if he won't necessarily turn to veggies, I'd rather see him eat whole grain foods or fruit rather than fruit snacks and candy. Again, it's a sugar addiction and we need to break it. I would like to be able to make supper for all 3 of us and not have to cook a completely different meal for Logan.

    I didn't mention it in the blog, but she wants us to take him 'back to basics' - so plain broccoli with butter for example, or plain cooked carrots, or plain rice... eventually we can do casseroles and wraps, etc but for now she just wants him to recongize the tastes and flavors on an individual scale i guess.

    Nikki: it's a survey specific to her I think - she had to email me privately with log in info to Logan's survey, and the results were sent to Colleen and not me - and then she analyzed them.

    -Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with not drinking calories. Some people seem to think milk is a super food - it's not lol though it has it's place for calcium, vitamin d, etc.

    Dexter has been testing his "no" boundaries lately. So much fun!

    Back to basics sounds promising. I'm looking forward to hearing your experience.

    ReplyDelete