Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Education

I am very much pro education. My own education consists of High School, College Diploma, TFH training, and Bowen Therapy training (and all the extra classes I had to take to get my certificate). Do I think I am smart? Do I think I am educated? Sure do! Am I the "smartest" person out there? Heavens no! I have lots to learn as does even the "smartest" person!

Now, what about the college-university debate? I think it's silly when University students think they're education is better than a College student. It actually down right ticks me off. I would have gotten the same education had I gone to University for a Business Diploma that I did from College for double the price.

I stand on the spectrum that a person should venture into -something- after high school (and of course FINISH high school) - I think continuing your education for your own personal growth and learning is hugely important. I think other people need to remember "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all". On a religious stand point we have been told as women we need to have an education. I feel like I have done so and I feel like I am well educated on those areas that bring me interest. Soemtimes I wish I could get more interested about topics that "bore" me - or even things that interest me lol...reading textbooks is not my forte. I just seem to read them!

Anyways, that's a whole other thing. :) Get an education! Feel smart within your own self.

Re-reading this blog entry I realize how much it doesn't make flowing sense lol :) oh well! my blog :)

3 comments:

  1. when I say that people shoudl venture into SOMETHING, I don't necessarily mean college/uni, and I don't necessarily mean immediately after high school, but it's definetly important to keep learning! Sometimes that doesn't happen until after child bearig years. I just think we need to always keep our minds moving :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's often too hard on a family to do at least a formal education until way later in life. I think about how I just have my high school and we started our family early, so I certainly don't have the time or money right now, especially with everything going on with Brettley. Once they're in school any money saved will be saved for missions, not for me to go to school "just to have something". Because honestly I have no desire to ever go back to formal education, it's SO not for me.

    But then I step back and think about how as a mother I'm continuing my education. I learn different skills to deal with different situations with each child. With Brett I'll be learning at least SOME sign language, even if we don't end up needing to become fluent in ASL. I'm learning more skills to help him catch up with his development. I think we often overlook the education we get just being mothers.

    I'm not saying the formal schooling is a bad thing, but it's definitely not for everyone and it's a very personal decision. I hope that made sense. I'm not trying to say that wanting to gain knowledge is a bad thing (it's the opposite), I just think we often forget that even doing things like raising children at home can give us a new educational experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that as long as we're learning it doesn't matter what form the "education" is taking place. It could be experience (one of the best teachers), courses, college, university, night classes etc.

    On a separate note, I think it funny when someone thinks they know everything about a topic because they took one course. For example, my BIL thinks that because he took an accounting course he is an accountant &/or just as qualified for a job as they are (he has zero experience).

    ReplyDelete