Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Nothing to say but want to blog

I actually don't have anything to really say but feel like I just want to write something! :)

So lets see where my babbling takes me. This past week my baby has been sick with fever and ear infection. It's terribly sad watching a baby be sick! As a mother we want to anything and everything we can for our babes and when there's nothing you can do it's devestating! He's finally on the mend but still not 100% so i'm taking him to our family doctor this evening for a check up.

What else...I ordered my Christmas cards! Yup, just need to get my letter printed and then I can have those out probably early November (I'm an overachiever! lol).

I love Shutterfly! I ordered my dad's gifts on it this year (I always make him a calendar and then I ordered a second photo gift for his office) - thankfully I have my dad's name this year! But the other thing I love about Shutterfly is that i'm trying something new with them. I am making photo books from their website. Basically I am an old school photo-printing kind of girl. I take pictures, then I develop them! So in Michael and my 5 years married we have an entire book shelf FULL (and part of a second shelf now) of photo albums. Realistically space wise I can't keep up with the rate we take photos and the albums they fill. I'll have 50 albums by the time my kids graduate highschool or college! So, after a trial run with our California trip (and alot of learning curves with the finished product), I have decided to do a photo book (or two depending) each year. I started in May of this year so this album will be labelled MAy -December 2012. Basically as I take photos I upload them right away into Shutterfly and right into the photobook. Many people often say they never develop because it's to overwhleming, but my friends, just doing it as you take them is not overwhelming at all! It takes an additional 10-15 minutes (depending on the volume of photos) which no one can tell me they don't have!
My only downside that I have found is that I feel like I am on edge when my kdis are flipping through them because if they rip a page there's not alot I can do - tape it up I suppose, but that doesn't look as nice. Photos in an album don't get ripped in the same way. AND, I often go into an album looking for a photo but I can't "take it out" - I will have to exert a little extra effort and a few cents and have it developed if I need a picture for a specific use.
Cost wise it actually works out to be the same (so long as you are smart with your picture placement in the photobook). It generally costs me for the album (that holds 300 photos) and prints: $100. That is the same cost as a photobook, and I can hold WAY more photobooks on a shelf than I can albums.
Another concern I had was that I can't have all my pictures as a 4x6 size, and I didn't want to make thumbnail sized photos of all my memories (to keep the photobook costs down), but have no fear! That's not the case at all. I choose to do all my photo books 12x12, and I do a minimum of 4 pictures per page (4x6 size approx) and then I only do "smaller" photos of those various photos that I like the memory but I don't need a large photo of (ex: when we went to the disneyland parade I put 10 images on one page of all the different characters that were in the parade - I don't need a centerfold of captain hook! lol). So as of right now i'm excited for the prospect of photo albums over the years to come :)
What abotu my kids? No they can't have my albums (until i'm dead) but I can make them their own of the highlights of their lives when they're older :) Oh the opportunities!

Well that's all I have for the day - my blogging desire is satisfied! Have a good day!

PS. We have a new "pet" - a venus fly trap plant. It's kind of neat - I need to research more in order to keep it alive ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment