Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Midwives Vs Doctors

Crystal requested that I do a comparison between my experience with the midwives vs doctors during this pregnancy. I will be honest, there are not -alot- of differences in my opinion (at this point) yet, but definetly a few that stand out to me.

Midwifery Care:
-By far the most important difference to me is that being with the midwives has definetly been a more personal experience. What I mean by that is I am a name, not a number so to speak. I have made calls to them (I say them - we have 5 in our 'clinic') and they will call me back within 24 hours to see how I am doing, etc.
-Cochrane Midwife clinic is in the 'head miwife's home'
-30 min + appointments every time
-Information (but no pressure) regarding home birth options
-Have authority to do ultrasound, blood test and other 'tests' requisition forms
-Are specific to pregnancy care (meaning that most doctors, unless it's a maternity clinic are seeing whomeever happens to walk through the door while a midwife thinks, eats and breaths pregnancy! lol
-more willing to follow 'natural' health (when battling my yeast infection and whatever else was/is wrong they recommended trying all the more natural stuff first before getting into the drugs that may or may not affect a fetus, etc, etc). Of course I am definetly more into that side of the spectrum and I really appreciated it.
-When things were -not- working for me they referred me back to a doctor who was able to prescribe things they couldn't necessarily. (they only have authority to prescribe to a certain degree)

Doctor Care:
I can only relate to the doctor care I had when I had Logan, which wasn't awful by any means. I had alot of issues in the beginning which my doctor never really 'diagnosed' but took all the safe precautions (ex: bedrest) to help me save Logan's pregnancy. That particular doctor took me through my first trimester then referred me to a maternity clinic near by. I was cared for by 5 or 6 different doctors (who never actually delivered my baby due to a shift change error the hour Logan was bornlol). My care was definetly nothing to complain about, just was lacking that 'personal' feel.
-This pregnancy as soon as I knew I was pregnant I followed the advice of my surgeoun from my ectopic and went to the doctor to get an ultrasound req to confirm it wasn't another ectopic. My new family doctor in Cochrane did everything he was supposed to - and he is a very nice man, and he even asked me if I wanted to go with the midwives or stay with his clinic. I chose the midwives specifically because of the fact that Logan was so fast and if the rule applies to me (2nd being faster) then I may not have time to get to the nearest hospital (40-45 min drive away) and there is nowhere else to deliver in Cochrane.
-Was able to help me in the end with relief for the itching I have been experiencing (it's not fixed as they still can't tell me what exactly is wrong but I have symptomatic relief of the itching if I keep up with the creams! hooray!)

So frankly, until I actually deliver I can't tell you if I have a preference per say, BUT I am leaning towards the home-ier more personal care and more natural care of a midwife. :)

4 comments:

  1. I would prefer the midwife route except I love having an epidural. After going without one this last time I'm glad it was on my last delivery. However, I'm a wimp and it was a rough delivery to begin with (fast, premature and back labor). Agree that a midwife would be much better for prenatal care. I was definitely just a number to my OB with Brett. Small town doctors can be pretty good about treating you like a person, though. My Dr in Wainwright that I went to with Caleb and Ty was amazing. He now does only maternity in a town of 5500.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The personal part sounds great but I'm more of a drugs person too. So with a midwife is an epidural an option?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can have a hospital birth and an epidural and any drugs you'd like lol... midwifes will deliver in hospital too - I just haven't experienced that yet so I'llld efinetly let you know what the outcome is.

    and yes, I dont doubt that doctor care can be personal, but all I have experienced is big city care to date.

    -Kyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, my experience in Edmonton was anything but personal.

    ReplyDelete