So we survived our trip! Every vacation we go on I journal 1-2 times per day to make sure I don't forget anything - even those "tiny" details are fun to remember down the road! (ex: Michael and I went to this arcade/buffet place when we were down in San Diego 2 years ago and I was able to reference it to see if there was any close by where we would be, which there wasn't but still!)
People have come up to me and asked me how our vacation went, and I don't really know how to answer that! I hum and haw and say "it was okay" because that's just it, it was just okay. There were enough things that weren't -perfect- to allow for it to be an amazing time. However! I loved being away in a nice warm climate that we were in.
Lets start with the flights. It all started a little bit crazy! We got away on time but then realized my wallet got left behind, which would leave us without my drivers licence and credit card - both of which could be important while travelling (had passports), so we turned around and were basically pushed back 15 mins, even though we are to be to the airport 2 hours ahead for international, we had only planned to be 1hr 30mins early because our flight left at 8am - so we left Cochrane at 6 to arrive at 6:30 - but push us back 15 mins it was a little bit hectic. It might not have been, BUT! when we got there the conveyer belt computer things that they check baggage went down and there was a HUGE line up for a least a hundred people waiting to get through. We were those people that they came out to find and pull from the line to the front of the line to get us through so we wouldn't miss our flight! lol THe moment we arrived at the airport we were just rush rush rush - thankfully our kids were fresh and not worn out from the trip so they just moved with the flow.
The actual flights: Carter timed his naps fairly well to sleep most of the flight there, and Logan enjoyed the first flight. We had a layover in Denver (just an hour so basically enough time to jump off the plane, eat lunch and hop on the plane). By this time it was lunch time and we had woken Logan early so he was really tired and ready to nap, so we forced him to just stay awake until we got on the plane. He slept the plane ride mostly til the end where he woke up just in time to throw up during the decent. Carter also just prior to that desroyed an outfit lol which we changed in the airplane bathroom - an experience! He was FAR to big to be laying on their change tables... but alas, we were now in Sunny California!
We went to pick up our rental car which I bought with my airmiles and learned that the insurance I bought with them was not something National car recognized so we had to buy additional insurance (still not resolved on getting our monies back). We drove a 2011 fully loaded Grand Caravan - it was pretty slick. I was covetting a little lol. We borrowed my mom's GPS which we couldn't get online right away, but finally it started working and we found the hotel! Hooray!
The Hotel was actually pretty good - it had a covered pool which we swam in the hottub a few times - even Logan wouldn't get in the cold swimming pool part! We did this trip with my sister in law Tami and thus we rented a room that had an additional bedroom - which wasn't exactly a bedroom, just a sliding door/curtain to seperate off the living room space which turned into a bedroom if wanted. Anyways, we made it work! We stayed at Peacock Suites.
We did 4 days at Disney and 2 days not. I think the most disappointing part of the trip was that Logan realy didn't love Disneyland! And he might have liked it but honestly he really is a home body. I have the HARDEST time getting him out the door - he just likes to be home with his family and friends. I might have loved it more if Logan loved it. He wouldn't go near any of the characters, which I also wondered if he would as he wouldn't go near Santa Claus so I figured there was a chance he wouldn't but hoped otherwise! In the end we basically dragged Logan and Carter around onto rides and into things, some of which he liked, some of which he didn't. It was really busy the week we were there! I have friends who have gone the past 4 years and were there the same time we were, and said they've never seen it that busy before. We waited at least 30 mins for rides (which is super hard on a 2 year old). The whole time Logan just kept asking to go back to the hotel!
I will tell you though, I was quite fascinated with certain aspects of Disney - the animatronics are incredible! The characters they portrayed looked like real poeple or real animals or real creatures! I was blown away by that. Oh, and so there were height restrictions on some rides, and the 40" rides Logan could sometimes go on and sometimes not - depending how he was standing! Sad right? My favourite rides were the "tour" rides - I am not a thrill seaker and I do not like to spin in any way shape or form. Sadly the rides were so short for the amount of time you actually waited. We made the best of it and found places Logan loved to be and really took advantage of those moments to let him play around. ...he realy enjoyed the one parade we went to, it was fun to watch!
The other 2 days: we did one trip to LA and took a Hollywood double decker bus tour. We rode the bus to Santa Monica and along the way got to see the sites. Sadly on the way home it took almost 2 hours (we didn't realize it did as big a loop on the way back) but that was the only downside! Logan loved the beach and such. So much so that we did a second day at a beach! We drove out to Huntington beach and spent0 a half day there - the other half day we did some shopping (which was my biggest excitment of going into the states). I was able to find some clothes but still notas much as I was hoping.
As for budgeting while there - we did pretty well! I only had to dip into my credit card the last day there. We bought and made our lunches and ate out at new restaurants each night (Cheesecake FActory, Red Robins, IHop, Captain Kidd Buffet and Captain Hooks cove in Downtown Disney).
Carter did really well as long as he was being held. He was teething something fierce a few of the nights (it looked really painful in his mouth, really swollen). He loved being in the carrier, and it took him afew days after getting home to get used to just being on the floor again lol. My boys went to bed at 7 or 8 every night per our usual routine, and they mostly slept really well. I typically stayed at the hotel with them as there wasn't any way I could leave Carter specifically because he's truly a mamas boy and there are other details as to why but this blog isn't for that :) ...anyways, he really just was along for the ride and did as I expected he would. I was hoping hed sit in stroller more but no such luck.
Logan. After he was sick on the plane, he broke out in this awful ezcema all over his body. I wasn't sure what it was - and after talking to my mom we've come to the conclusion that it was from stress. People say an allergic reaction but he HONESTLY didn't eat anything... like, he wouldn't eat because he said he had a bit of a stomach ache so he really just didn't eat that day. Also, people break out in Hives from stress, why not ezcema? Anyways, with that and already havingn a cold to start, and then add different elevation, etc, etc he just started out a little rough. And the tantrums. Holy Cow. We had 1-3 full blown freak out tantrums per DAY. It was quite an experience. The one that was the worst he was just so out of control that I had to sit on a bench and hold him screaming. I even had people come up and tell me "your'e a good mom" "you're doing a good job" "don't worry, it's just a phase" ...lol, I surprisingly kept my cool and I wasn't even really embarassed, I just wanted him to stop! I was prepared to sit there all day.. lol. That was the worst day - he realy just didn't want to be at the park.
Verdict: Would I Go back to Disneyland? Nah. It wasn't our thing. I'd much rather stick to all inclusive beach resorts or cruises. Logan would enjoy that more, I would enjoy that more, and I can't say for sure but I think Michael would too (he gets stressed out when Logan acts like a 2 year old lol duh, he's 2!). I don't think Logan was too young, I just think it's not his fortay. I don't have a crazy desire to have my kids experience Disneyland, so truly I doubt we would go back unless someone was paying our way and taking us.
Would I go back to California? Definetly! I actually said to Michael him and I should do a weekend trip there sometime (like a 4 day weekend) and see some of the LA sites and beaches that we can't enjoy with kids.
I've never been to Disneyland and still have no desire to go. When Kathy takes my kids some day I may just send John with them and enjoy the time by myself. However, I hear they're doing a Harry Potter thing in California, so I may tag along just to go to that (and spend all week there).
ReplyDelete