We made a expected/unexpected trip to Magrath this past weekend to Michael's uncle's funeral. He sadly passed away from Pancreatic cancer (he lived quite a lot longer than his given expectancy which was wonderful for his family!). It was a really good weekend with family. He was a well loved man and had a large service full of support from friends and family. My father in law gave his euligy (i think they're called) which was well recieved! I know he was a loved man and will really be missed.
It got me to thinking about things. I certainly would have a hard time losing my parents. I hope I have a few more decades with them! I watched the family at the funeral and they were all doing really well (by appearance anyways), and aside from having the gospel in their lives, I think as my friend Nikki put it, they were all "running on adrenalin". I think that the week of the funeral isn't as hard as the first year would be in losing someone. Those "firsts" will be challenging I would think. Like if I lost one of my parents, the first Easter and Christmas, and the next birthdays (theirs or mine) when they call and don't actually call, and then all the firsts/concerts/events with kids that you can't call to tell them about...What a hard thing!
I have firmly committed my parents to live forever :)
We all felt the adrenalin let down, but we just felt tired. We'll still have moments that are rough, but I think this is just how we handle stuff. Maybe it's the circumstances or maybe it's our knowledge that we'll be with him again, but we're still all doing well. But yes, he is greatly missed.
ReplyDelete