Michael and I decided to hang Christmas lights on our new house (exciting right?) - well, we borrowed a neighbors ladder and Michael went up and put on the hooks. He came into the house and said 'so I don't trust this ladder' and I said okay, that's fine...and we together decided he'd go get the supplies that he left on the roof and we'd get a different ladder to finish the light hanging adventure.
That is when it happened. He was on his way down (I was stabalizing), and the extension hooks gave way. Michael 'rode' the ladder about 3 steps worth and then he remembered I was at the bottom and decided to jump away as to not crush his dear wife (he is a wonderful husband). I am standing at the bottom and my mind is going a mile a MILI-second. I am all within this blink of an eye second thinking "oh no, should I catch him?" and to my left is Carter about 4 ft away so I am thinking "where's my baby?" and to my right and behind is Logan about 4-5ft away and i'm thinking "what about my other baby?"....and then as the ladder is coming down I am thinking "it's going to bash into our neighbors car!" ....and in the end I jumped back just praying that everyone was out of harms way (aside from of course my falling husband) and just waited.
Michael hit the ground in a slight crouch position and dropped and rolled. At that very moment a lady from Michael's work who lives on our street was driving by and saw the whole thing (as did another truck who stopped to be sure everything was okay)...she jumps out to be sure he wasn't crushed then she said 'holy smokes Michael - I wish I had that on video - you looked like a profession superhero-stuntdevil type person - that was phenominal!" lol...Michael chuckled but was still pretty banged up.
Needless to say we dropped Logan off at a friends and I took Michael to Urgent Care (nothing was broken on an outword appearance - bones jutting out, etc). Me, Michael and Carter checked him in and then after an hour I took Carter home.
This is when MY story begins. So I woke up with minor but definite chest pain right in and around my sternum. I thought 'gee that's odd' and chocked it under the fact I had started two medications just the night before with the intention of seeing what came of it.
(**Side note: I had been in Urgent Care two nights prior with a diagnosis of Kidney infection - possible stones but couldn't be confirmed. Symptoms were major kidney region pain and occasional abdominal pain)
Anyways, it was definetly tender (felt more muscular than anything) all day and more and more so as the day went on. When Michael had his fall I went into adrenal mode and we got through everything we needed to. We had been there an hour and I asked the nurse if it would be alright time wise if I took Carter home. They said they'd call me when he was ready (at least an hour from that point minimum they'd figure...in nurse talk that means two hours right? lol). So on the way home everything came crashing down on me and I started to bawl. I called my friend Courtney to be sure keeping Logan longer would be okay and she could hear I was upset but I said I just wanted to go home and lay down for a bit and just take a breather. I kept Carter cuz he has been having a hard time leaving me as of recent and with all the stress of the day that was one less stress I could control. About half hour home I just LOST it. I felt like I was hyperventalating almost and my chest pain just escalated! I was really scared by that so I called Courtney and she rushed to my house (she's a great friend) and talked me through it. I decided that after I was settled that I didn't want to go to urgent care because I feel that the stress of the day was just causing me alot of physical stress and the pain was truly -muscular- vs heart problems. Tylenol actually took the pain almost completely away. Anyways, we went to courntey's house (where Logan was anyways) and just enjoyed her company. Basically I chock the whole experience as my first anxiety attack. It was just too much all at once and the adrenalin and stress of the few days really just got to me.
I picked up Michael and he isn't broken, just really sore. My neighbors (bless his heart) went up on the roof and got all the stuff that had been left there, down, and he strung up the lights! Also we had lots of friends and family offering their services to take care of us. We are truly lucky and blessed.
And that is the story! Phew. We're good for a while now :)
Kicking and Breathing,
Kyla & Family
Glad to hear everyone is (mostly) a ok.
ReplyDelete