This week has been just as positive and just as fun as last week! We did Math & Science Monday - since it was our first math lesson it was mostly things logan knew already (like recognizing and writing his #s), then a little bit of review Tuesday. Wednesday however was a fabulous day. We did Language Arts and the phonics book we have has us already sounding out words such as AT, CAT, SAT, COT, TAC, SOC (the letters being learned are sounds for C O S A T). Listening to Logan sound out and read a simple sentence like "a cat sat" on week 2 of our schooling adventure was SO rewarding to me :) - by the end he was a little agitated and what I've chosen to do (without his knowing it) is when he is agitated we continue on for about 5 more minutes so he learns to work through the problem and that I won't just 'give up' upon feeling frustrated. It has been a great patience strengthener for me :) Then today we did ART. We did Drawing (in a Usborne book that teaches how to draw things), we did mazes, and we did painting. Today specifically we opened up his school painting kit. I explained to him that -this- kit was for school and we wouldn't only do one project per week out of it. At the end of the 'lesson' then he was welcome to free play and paint what he wants on a different piece of paper. He learned that Blue and Yellow make green - and then proceeded to mix the colors, and then the picture that goes with it has a bunch of white areas meant specifically for the color green - so he completed the picture. It was a really neat little project and he mentioned through the day that blue and yellow make green in various conversations.
Tomorrow we have a really cool history and geography lesson to work through :) I wish I had a printer at work because we are supposed to make a picture timeline - but all of my pictures are now in photobooks so 1. it's already in a timeline essentially, and 2. we can no longer take pics out of an album to create the line.... oh well, we will make due and I've made note to do this again when we buy our new printer.
Woohoo for homeschooling! I am SO converted and loving everything about it! I have to bite my tongue now when I talk to people who are -sending- their kids to school LOL isn't that funny?
I think it's awesome that it's working so well for you. I am a firm believer in always doing what is right for each individual child at that point in time, and you are definitely doing that for Logan right now. For some of us, it's 'sending' our kids to school that we're told is right for those kids and for us. I'll admit, I'm jealous that homeschooling works so well for you. With my disorder, it would be really hard for me and I wouldn't be nearly as effective as you are. I will try to do the 2 years of preschool for Brettley, but I wouldn't be able to do it for all 3 kids the whole 13 years, personally. Keep up the amazing work, it sounds as if Logan is thriving already :)
ReplyDelete