Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

General Conference April 2011

For those of you who do not know, twice a year the General Authorities (including our beloved Prophet: Thomas S. Monson) of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints put on a world-wide conference over two days time - in this time we are taught and guided with many inspiring talks. I take notes to help me stay focused and these are some of the highlights that I took note of:

Saturday Morning Session
1. We have another Canadian Temple being built in Winnipeg Manitoba :D
2. L. Tom Perry shared about keeping the Sabbath day holy and specifically I took note of the suggestion to dress modestly and appropriately all day long - he said we don't have to wear our Sunday best, but I have made a committment to not wear pj pants and a tshirt after getting home - and to pick something a little more formal than that.
3. L. Tom Perry (one of the 12 apostles) said that 'Christ should be the centerpiece of our lives' and it made me think of some artistic ways to make that a physical ornament for my home - I am going to look at maybe making a centerpiece that might portray the Savior in it.
4. Jean Stevens (1st counsellor of Primary Presidency) reminded us to be as little children 'submissive, meek, humble, patient and full of love'. We should -behold- our children.
5. Walter Gonzolez (of the seventy) talked about missionary work. He shared a particular story about a young man that was to go on a mission and in his country he was told if he went his family could suffer but he went anyways, and his mother wrote him and told him to stay out longer because they were receiving soooo many blessings for his faith and obedience to serve a mission. (lol). Also he said that any person can feel and know the gospel is true - we should always share our feelings and knowledge with others.
6. Temple covenants can strengthen marriages. <--this really inspired me to try and attend more often. I am so very excited the Calgary temple will be 20 mins from where I live now. When we are struggling as a couple we will have the power of the temple so close.
7. Kent Richards (of the seventy) - spoke on trials (one of many talks on trials). No pain or trial we have is without purpose, in fact it is for our education and part of the plan of happiness. This talk made me think about my grandfather and how I hope he is one of the angels/spirits around me when I am struggling.
8. Quentin L. Cook (one of the 12 apostles) - He spoke about the Relief Society and Priesthood and church callings, and marriages and how we are equals as human beings and all have responsibilities (whether some are different than others or not) and can excel at what we are assigned to do. He really focused on the importance of women (I almost felt this talk was for those who feel that it's 'unfair' that women can't hold the Priesthood). He also spoke about something that humbled me as I can be judgemental on this topic. He said 1. no women should ever feel the need to apologize or feel less about herself for raising her children at home. and 2. we should be careful and non-judgemental towards those working mothers as their circumstances are different than yours and their situations are personal. <--I have vowed from this point to try and be less judging and more understanding.
9. Henry B Eyring (1st counsellor of the 1st Presidency) - "A person cannot give a crust to theLord without receiving a loaf in return" <--speaking about service. The Lord was a perfect example of someone who dedicated themselves to service and we should try and serve others more. When we helps others we are helping ourselves - if we serve someone often our own problems just disappear or seem less important.

Saturday Afternoon Session (I only caught the last talk)
M. Russell Ballard (member of the 12 apostles) - we need to stirve to keep our lives -simple- as often we get bogged down with too much focus on wordly things. He also spoke about charity. One specific comment went something like this: when charity exists, there is no place for gossip or unkind words. We need to serive at home, in our communities and at church. "Kindness is an essence of greatness".

Sunday Morning Session
1. Deiter F. Uchtdorf - Compared our testimonies to waiting on the road to damascus. Often we are waiting for that grand miracle to prove to us that God exists. Also compared our testimonies to a puzzle - it comes to us piece by piece and as we get the pieces put together we then start to recognize the greater and grander picture. I also made note of the comment about who we have to study out and ask questions first before jumping to prayer.
Challenge: When asked about how our weekends are, make a note of mentioning church and/or a spiritual experience or something we learned - it's an important part of our lives, and those who love us and those we love have a right to hear about it.
2. Paul Johnson (of the seventy) - "The only way to see the view is to make the climb"
3. H. David Burson (presiding bishop) - provident living and the welfare program. "helping people help themselves" was his focus.
4. David A. Bednar (member of 12 apostles) - I loved his metaphor about light. He talked about how there's the kind of light we walk into a room and flick the switch and have instant light, and then there's the kind of light when the sun comes up:subtle and gradual. He then related this to receiving revelation - sometimes it's instant, sometimes it's subtle and we have to know how to hear and recognize it. He also furthered the sunrising analogy to include that sometimes it's overcase or foggy out but we still have enough light to konw it is day.
5. President Monson talked about temples - Logan was cranky and ready to have our undivided attention so I didn't get to hear -everything- but it was a lovely talk about how important temple worship is. His one challenge that related to me was to be sure every room as a picture of the temple in it.

Sunday Afternoon Session
1. Richard G. Scott (one of the 12 apostles)- shared a lovely story about his wife (now gone) who had suprised him with random notes through their marriage, and he did on occasion as well, and when she passed on he found all the notes safely kept among her cherished possessions. I learned also from this talk that if I have a wilingness to give and share and serve the arguments and criticizing moments in my home will lessen each day. "Mothers have divine instincts" <--brought me much comfort. I also am going to take as a challenge when he said that his wife in her morning prayers would pray to have someone be led to her that she could help.
2. Todd Christoffersen (one of the 12 apostles)- compared us to gardeners. We garden and shape our gardens/crops (sometimes involving cutting things down to size), and he compared this to Christ being able to help shape us as our gardener. He also made comments that it is our duty to correct and chasten our children - if we do nothing when we can teach or correct it is a strike against us (plainly put).
3. Carl B Pratt (of the seventy) - spoke about tithing. I really really enjoyed the part about him saying the Lord does NOT bless us with money but rather other life lessons or blessings. Challenge: to take those times when I feel i'm being blessed with money and find the spiritual blessing attached with it (like the wisdom in saving or the obedience of paying tithing).
4. Lynn G Robbins (of seventy) - "we often make to-do lists, but why not a make a 'to be' list". Also talked about disciplining our children is important in the right manner - with patience and love, not anger. (D&C 121). Also said that challenging children (specifically mentioned behaviours) should be viewed as a blessing rather than a problem - they are here to strengthen different attributes in our own character. And he really expressed that we should praise our children for their character traits over their worldy accomplishments, which is somethign I am going to also try and do (so many challenges this conference!).

That's all I really got out of Sunday afternoon because Logan was awake and distracting :) But that's okay! I listened best I could and feel like I came out of this weekend with some great reminders and lessons - can't wait now until October! I love the spirit conference brings into my life, and when the Ensign comes out I am going to try really hard to put the challenge to read and study the words on paper that Pres. Monson gave us.

6 comments:

  1. I loved this General Conference. I missed the last couple of talks this afternoon because I just couldn't focus anymore, but I especially loved the Saturday morning session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big blog :-) I love conferences where you are interested in the subject matter (i.e. not AFSC lol).
    - I'm looking forward to seeing what your Savior centerpiece looks like.
    - I'm inspired to do some charity work. I'm not sure what yet, but something to offer myself to help others.
    - Regarding people who wait for the big miracle, I find this frustrating as I see miracles in everything today. Our technologies, our every expanding intelligence, nature, our children learning and growing, our friends and family, when things work out just right: all miracles!
    -A "to be" list, what a great idea! I also like the comments about praising character traits rather than accomplishments. Any suggestions on how to go about this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way he gave an example on how to praise character traits instead of accomplishmens were (if I remember correctly):
    1. If your child is in soccer for example and played a really great game, instead of praising the way he played (which isn't necessarily bad to do) but you could instead, or in addition to praise the way he played fair with others, and the way he helped out his team members, etc.
    -you can really do this with any trait - kindness, excitment, industrious (if hey build a really cool tower we can compliment their creativity/imagination), and we could even go as far as complimenting their innocence in those cases where they do something naughty (just thought of that one)...oh and a great one - complimenting their honesty and charity.
    3. Sitting at the dinner table instead of asking 'how was your day' ask things like 'who did you help today?' or 'did you help make anyone happy today?' or 'how did you use your imagination today?'


    I think the best thing about getting knowledge like this is that if we try hard to instil it -now- it'll just be 2nd nature to us the older our kids get. That doesn't mean it's too late for others lol, but we definetly have an advantage! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I'm not part of the Church... or any church for that matter, I really enjoyed this blog about your weekend and the conference.

    A lot of the stuff that was mentioned is definitely inspirational, and I think anybody (religious or not, spiritual or not) can take these words and lessons to heart and strive to be better individuals. I hope you share your thoughts again when the next conference comes around. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jade: absolutely! It's true - they're just great life lessons and anyone can apply.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jade & Kyla: i absolutely agree as i also am not religious but found it a great blog!

    ReplyDelete