Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Logan's dietary changes - update

Update on Logan's dietary changes: he is eating super well, he's having great digestion/bowel movements (TMI), he's getting over his cold, he's not asking for junk near as much anymore, he even ate a bite of meat (just one) for probably the first time in 6 months (other than a McDonald's cheeseburger). He will try new things and eat all his food placed before him. Yesterday we started to notice his mood is improving - not as grumpy and not as defiant. He's well mannerd and pleasant most of the day - still trying to give up naps sometimes but not all the time, which is hard to read as a parent.. we try to put him down every day and being he's been ill he's 90% of the time going down the past week and a half. Only thing that has NOT improved and is in fact worsening (over the past month probably, so before we changed his diet) is his sleep. He's up 5-6 times a night for no reason other than for Michael to go up and tuck him back in. It's frusterating and despite our best efforts he still won't sleep through the night. I will be interested to see how long I last with an infant and a toddler who wake up all night. Maybe I'll have to learn to nurse in Logan's room on his wake up times? -_- We'll see..
That was a tangent, back to his dietary plan - the no dairy, no sugar has been wonderful in other aspects as well! The biggest most important is that he's eating in a way that I consider healthy. An average day consists of the following: Breakfast: toast or pancake (with just butter) and fruit (apple and/or banana and/or watermelon and/or cantaloupe). Snack: mixed nuts and if he asks for it, another fruit. Lunch: a sandwich (usually peanut butter and a very little amount of honey or jam) with cucumber, carrots, peppers, etc - finger food veggies. Snack: mixed nuts or the rest of his lunch if he didn't finish it, etc. Supper: whatever we're having - which i LOVE not having to cook a completely seperate meal.. I will modify what we're having so I know he'll enjoy it, but still, it's great. As far as beverages go, he drinks Soy milk at night only, and water. That's all. The OTHER really awesome part is that our grocery bill has dropped significantly! I don't have to any longer buy granola bars, fruit snacks, cookies, certain crackers, milk, cheese, 'junk', random chocolate bars, etc.

The end goal will be to keep this all up - we will add cheese back into our family and probably milk - but it won't be a 4L a week, more like a 2L a week, and it won't be a block of cheese every 1-2 weeks, it'll be a block of cheese every 2-4 weeks. Things like that... and we will not buy any of those junk foods anymore except for special occasions (like camping trips maybe? we'll see..) - i'd like to go with the philosophy that we don't need it in our home because when you're out and about you definetly get it at other places or on 'special occasions' which happen far more often than we think. We've already avoided going to 2-3 evens in the past week and a half just to avoid the food table.. which won't always be the case, but in the beginning it's important to be completely thorough I think.

Okay, that is all or i'll NEVER stop! Okay, that's not all lol.. one last point, it's been AWESOME having the boys on track because i've actually lost a few lbs because I no longer have the nibbling temptation of various junk foods in the house

Now that is all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment