Welcome!

Welcome to my blog. This is a place where I will voice MY thoughts and MY ideas on life and life events. I faithfully write in a journal but sometimes I feel the need to publically display, so here it is!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Charts

We have decided to incoorporate a few charts into our daily routine in our family.

Chart #1: The House Rules
Chart #2: The Bedtime Routine

The first has been placed by the time out chair and engulfs probably 95% of the reasons that Logan is in time-out at any given time. The goal is to point out and acknowledge that whatever his behaviour at the time, it was against the rules. The theory of something concrete to look at I guess. He's a wee bit young to fully comprehend but I figure if we start now it'll grow into an understanding. There are only 4 rules: 1. Respect and Love One Another (no hitting, no biting, no pushing, no whining), 2. Have Good Manners -> Be Polite (say thank you, please, bless you, excuse me), 3. Clean up and Share (help clean up toys and share our toys with our friends), 4. Have Regular Family Time (Monday night FHE, one-on-one time with Logan per parent weekly and a date night monthly for momm and daddy). Each time he's placed in time out he is reminded of the rule, which I have written in such a way that is a positive.

The second is a list of things that we do (with a cooresponding picture) at bedtime. 1. PJs, 2. TV Show, 3. Glass of milk, 4. Brush teeth (a reminder more for me then anything), 5. Bedtime story, 6. Lay down and go to sleep. I did this specifically as an attempt to allow Logan to see (via the pictures) what is to come next in the process so eventually he'll learn that after story (which is a new thing for us to incorporate) it's time to go to bed and mommy and daddy are -not- staying there in the room with him. Anyways, whether it's because he's learned it from me or whether it's a trait he  was born with, Logan is very routine based and I think this will be a positive.

The glorious thing to both these charts is it can be added to and changed. As he gets older and understands more we can maybe work in a reward system if his sleeping doesn't improve (bribary some may call it, but I call it coping lol.. what i'm referring to is something along the lines of a sticker for every night you slept without getting out of bed, and 5 stickers gets you a new toy - or something like that)

It's a new system as of today and hopefully it'll bring about the positive change i'm seeking - if it doesn't, i'll try something else, but I feel hopeful!

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of both these charts! And I'm all about "coping". I cant imagine what a challenge it would be to have a child who doesn't have great sleeping habits! You're a super mom in my books for making it through the day to day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great ideas. I think the Family Rules thing would be a great idea for FHE, to create our own set. I'm all about charts:)

    ReplyDelete