Today one of the midwives came to our home to discuss all the details of a home birth and to see our space, etc. For those who don't know I have chosen to do a home birth for the safety of my baby. Personally I still would rather be in hospital but being that I require to be hooked up to antibiotics combined with the fact that Logan was such a fast birth (and 2nds are usually the same or faster), being home is truly the most logical and safe choice for my child.
It was a regular appointment otherwise. She came over, informed me I could use our room or the tub quite comfortably (meaning there's enough space for them, etc) and discussed the lists of things we need to have on hand (linens and things). I had told her I had a pool available to me - not for a water birth, but for a space we could use to contain the mess and what she told me surprised me. She said that home births are definetly not near as messy as a hospital birth. That confused me because it's not likea baby -knows- he/she is being birthed at home, and she said that being in a hospital situation the room is set up in such a way that they do not have to clean up as they go or keep it neat and tidy, but at home they are continually keeping it nice and clean as the birth progresses. That made me feel alot better.
Baby's heart rate is 130, and she/he is measuring right on track. Everytime I have had an appointment (since the baby's been 'big enough' to physically feel positioning) the baby's back/bum has been on my right side and the head down and limbs towards the left. Well last night I was laying in bed and let out a yelp - which of course startled Michael (pregnant lady yelps, who wouldn't jump right?). Anyways, I looked down at my belly and my left side suddenly was higher. I was like "i'm pretty sure the baby just flipped over to the other side" as that was 1. what it felt like as it happened, and 2. what it physically looked like! I proceded to poke and prod to me it surely seemed that was the case. Anyways, today when the midwife came I asked her where the back was and told her about last night. She said that absolutely I was right - the baby had flipped. She ALSO said that it was her experience that babies positioned on the left are quicker deliveries - she wasn't sure why but that was just her experience.
Otherwise I am going to be doing the 37 week GBS swab next week, and I am going to do one more round of the yeast infection medication, and after the swab if it's still positive they may try and treat me one more time with an IV antibiotic (if the baby isn't born yet). I expressed that I was nausiated and woozy - especially towards the evenings, but not limited to these days (most often the most nautious at midnight weirdly enough) and after taking my blood pressure she said i'm 'low-normal' so that probably is a factor.
Best comment she made to me (even though she of course has no say in the matter lol) was when I said that I was hoping/praying the baby is sooner than later she said that her gut and feelings made her think that it would be. :) So here's hoping the midwife's gut instinct is right!
Best comment from Logan: (scenario: just did the heartbeat and I sat up on the couch, logan beside me) "come out baby - out! Come on" and he poked and patted my tummy in a gentle manner.
Logan's comment: so cute!
ReplyDeleteInteresting about the home birth. I'm excited to hear your birth story!
Question: if something happened where getting to a hospital was a necessity, what would the procedure be? Ambulance, helicopter, etc?
I asked that too - they said if it's life threatening they call an ambulance (obviously an expense to me), or if it's something non-life threatening but beyond their scope of authority orhowever you want to say it, they allow you to transfer yourself
ReplyDelete-Kyla